Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rob Zombie's Halloween-Review


I started watching Rob Zombie's "Halloween" during class but then decided against it because the people behind me where already watching over my shoulder (giving me pointers on solitaire [they thought I was playing freecell]) and because the movie starts off extremely crude and violent in true Zombie fashion. It actually levels off though. I thought the movie was going to be more violent and stomach lurching, but it wasn't. Argento's "Third Mother" is much more violent and graphic than "Halloween 2007." I loved it though. It kept with the spirit that is "Halloween" and added a whole other layer of intrigue and humanity into the characters. I was almost heartbroken at the end in a really odd way.

I've noticed Rob Zombie has really creative ways into how he develops his characters. He uses different devices and characters to help others grow instead of it just being one whole gore fest. For this film, he wanted everyone to feel that it was real. There wasn't that much blood or feats of superhuman strength. The supernatural was kept at bay, but still there in essence. He achieved his goal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the original better still. The original was much scarier. Not knowing why a person is after you, is frightening. There were more suspenseful moments and eerie scenes. I will never forget the "doorway" scene and the scene where Michael sits up with Laurie Strode unsuspecting. That has been ingrained already. When John Carpenter was involved, the series was golden.

As a criminologist-in-training, I was really surprised at the beginning. Instead of going for the whole, "he's just evil and let's leave it at that" kind of stuff, Zombie brings in Dr. Loomis immediately. You see all the elements that dragged Michael into madness. (Killing small animals at a young age is a warning sign of psychopathy in real life including fire starting and bedwetting.) One of the deleted scenes has Dr. Loomis speaking about "nature v. nurture" theories. It's interesting stuff. To me though, it humanized Michael too much. People don't scare me; Monsters do. I felt pity for the big guy instead of being horrified.


Tyler Mane was great as the adult Myers. Zombie wanted someone who was extremely large and who had screen presence. He definitely choose the right person. At 6'10" Mane is the tallest Michael to date. When he's in the jump suit though, he's proportional. He doesn't look bulky or way too muscled. He didn't change like Jason Voorhees who went from a regular man into this WWF (or whatever it's called now a days) wrestler with beyond superhuman strength.

Other cast members that I loved seeing was Udo Kier, Clint Howard, and Brad Dourif. Malcom McDowell gets an honorable mention because he was almost as brilliant as Donald Pleasence. I wished they had released an extended version of the film with all the deleted scenes. Some were really good. They cut the "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff" scene! That's the line of the franchise! Oh well, I can't complain, too much...

The alternate ending was better, but I understand why they went with the one they did. The alternate was way too emotional. I'm a closet romantic so I wanted him to have a good ending. If you haven't seen it, I won't give it away, but let's just say you'll be rooting for Michael instead of the cops. The original ended violently and abruptly. I liked it, too. It makes you wonder if the whole Myers clan is as fucked up as everyone thinks they are.

Rumors are flying that Zombie is working on a "Halloween 2" and "3." I think he could keep up the good work and do the franchise justice.

No comments: