Monday, October 27, 2008

5 Days...

I am so excited at the moment. For a horror movie lover like myself, Halloween is the ultimate day. It's the Superbowl equivalent. I have already gotten in really good scares along with being scared to death. My Dad owns a Michael Myers mask so I've been frightened a couple times already. After I did my make-up (see profile photo), I went down and scared my Mum. I had yellow contacts on with my fangs, too.

Now, I've been trying to watch a movie a day or at least get in some horror documentaries just to brush up on my horror smarts. This weekend I thought I was going to have a whole day to just take in all the blood, gore, suspense, and over-kill violence; however, stuff comes up and I'm busy until I'm back at my own place. I did watch two movies.

"Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" was ok, but the change in Myers's mask had me annoyed mostly the whole time. The movie poster is misleading since it has the original Myers in the photo. Danielle Harris plays Jamie, Michael's niece and new victim since Jamie Lee Curtis's character supposedly died in a car crash. We all know this isn't true since they created 7 and 8. The one who again does an excellent role in this franchise is Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis, Michael's Nemesis. I can't wait to see the rest of the series to see how his character develops.

The second movie I watched was "Freddy vs. Jason." I have to say this was extremely entertaining and had me laughing at all the dark humor spread across from it. I only jumped once throughout the whole film. Robert Englund reprises his role as Freddy Kruger, the right-knife-handed, burned, child murderer. I really love how the writer included an overview of Freddy's life when he was still alive at the beginning of the movie. I think this is the first time Englund appears as Kruger without the burns and pounds of prosthetics. He's just sick. The premise of the movie is that Elm Street has forgotten about Freddy. Freddy is trapped in Hell and looking for a way out. He finds Jason slumbering and uses him to travel to Elm Street so Jason could kill a couple of the locals in a kind of Freddy fashion. Of course, one of the kids starts to remember Freddy and then dooms the rest of them. It all leads to a huge show down at Camp Crystal Lake (Jason's home field advantage) with Freddy being brought over to the real world. I won't say who "won" the fight, but it is a bit a fluffy moment. The most ridiculous thing in the movie that had me questioning my sanity is when the typical token stoner is smoking a bunt and sees Freddy's worm version enter the room. Freddy pulls out a bong and lights up with the kid before leaving the room. What? Why did that have to be in there? Beats me.

Anyway, I got a couple new movies to get through before Halloween. My DVDs of the last Halloween movies haven't come in yet so I'm hoping they're in by Wednesday... I will be watching "Salem's Lot (1979)," "John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns," "Stuart Gordon's Dreams in the Witch House," and "Frankenstein (1931)."

No comments: