Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ash v. Freddy v. Jason v. Michael Myers? Bring it on!

This month has bought with it an abundance of new movies along with special releases of classics. Recently I've acquired the first four "Nightmare of Elm Street" films, "La Terza Madre" (The Third Mother) by Dario Argento, and Halloween 4 through 8. I plan to watch every movie until Halloween itself sneaks up on me. I can't believe we're already halfway through the month.

Why all the movies you ask? Why not? Plus, since it is spook season, a lot of places are having deals and major discounts. I bought the "Nightmare" movies for 3 bucks a piece... If that's not a steal, I don't know what is.

I have never seen any of the Freddy movies to their completion. I couldn't. I would always stop at the "boiler" scene or try to continue but be way too freaked out and skittish to watch the rest. There's just something about a monster who can kill you in your dreams or while you're sleeping. It's been years since I've tried to watch it so hopefully I won't be as terrified.

Finally "La Terza Madre" comes out on DVD! It's Argento's latest release and part of his classic "Suspiria" trilogy. If you haven't seen "Suspiria" or "Inferno" you are doing yourself a major disservice. Those movies are what Argento is essentially about. They are giallo. "Suspiria" was so good because of the surreal feeling of the story and gore. The use of vibrant colors and just weird looking sets was reminiscent of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." Blood was a reddish hot pink that oozed too thickly, but had the brilliant effect of slow motion to make every one's skin crawl. Using a witch as a villain successfully in the film is a major accomplishment in and of itself. Not many (and I don't recall any at the moment) have used the plot of an evil witch effectively. My favorite scene is where the heroine finds the witch. Joan Bennett plays the villain and to hear the profanity coming out of that dainty, elegant, beautiful woman will leave you in awe if you're familiar with her other works. It's like hearing Carol Brunette yelling, "Fuck you!" to the crowd if asked to do the Tarzan yell. I get shivers just thinking about it. I'm going to watch "Madre" tonight so tomorrow look for the review.

Halloween can't be Halloween without watching John Carpenter's classic film at least a dozen times. I've seen it four times in the past week. I watched the second one again the other night. I ordered 4-8 and plan to see those once they come in. What about 3? "Halloween 3:Season of the Witch" is not a Halloween movie!! Even on DirectTV they show it in the guide as "Season of the Witch" sometimes. Michael Myers is not in the movie so forget about it. It never should have lived. Of the movies I ordered, I've only seen H2O (Halloween 7) and bits of "Resurrection" (8). The others I will spend a whole day on my parent's 46' getting the best sense of Myers that I can.

In other news, I just saw that studios are thinking of another "X-Files" film (please, do it justice this time) and "Die Hard." Let poor John McClain retire! Die Hard 4 was ok, but it didn't have any of the grittiness of the first and best film. If they do a 5, I say cast Alan Rickman as the bad guy and just give him a new name and a new edge. He'd rake in the crowds while making the ultimate villains list again. Leave him as an older, silver haired villain. He's gorgeous just like that.

Ok, I'll stop blabbing.

No comments: