Tuesday, November 4, 2008

50 Movie Packs...

I actually want to "talk" about a really good deal/item that I think people who love horror movies should look into getting, especially if you want to expand your palate. I saw someone on another blog post a comment about it and then on Halloween I spoke with a friend who loved it, too. I'm going on about the "50 Movie Packs" that have been popping up in my Best Buy or DVD Planet, wherever I got mine from (seen it at both places). I was browsing for new movies when the Horror one caught my eye.

Here is the list of the films that it includes:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde starring John Barrymore
Blue Beard starring John Carradine
The Corpse Vanishes starring Bela Lugosi
Night of the Living Dead starring Judith O'Dea
Doomed to Die starring Boris Karloff
The Phantom of the Opera starring Lon Chaney, Sr.
The Indestructible Man starring Lon Chaney, Jr.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame Lon Chaney, Sr.
Nosferatu starring Max Schreck
Swamp Women starring Mike Connors
The World Gone Mad starring Pat O'Brien
The Little Shop of Horrors starring Jack Nicholson
Tormented starring Richard Carlson
The Monster Walks starring Rex Lease
Monster from a Prehistoric Planet starring Tamio Kawaji
The Gorilla starring The Ritz Brothers
A Shriek in the Night starring Ginger Rogers
Bloodlust starring Robert Reed
The Amazing Mr. X starring Turhan Bay
Last Woman on Earth starring Robert Towne
The Bat starring Vincent Price
The House on Haunted Hill starring Vincent Price
The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price
Dementia 13 starring William Campbell
Phantom from 10,000 Leagues starring Kent Taylor
Carnival of Souls starring Candace Hilligoss
Atom Age Vampire starring Alberto Lupo
Creature from the Haunted Sea starring Robert Towne
Nightmare Castle starring Barbara Steele
Black Dragons starring Bela Lugosi
Invisible Ghost starring Bela Lugosi
One Body Too Many starring Bela Lugosi
White Zombie starring Bela Lugosi
Attack of the Giant Leeches starring Ken Clark
The Screaming Skull starring John Hudson
Beast of Yucca Flats starring Tor Johnson
The Terror starring Boris Karloff
Revolt of the Zombies starring Dean Jagger
The Giant Gilla Monster starring Don Sullivan
The Fatal Hour starring Boris Karloff
Dead Men Walk starring George Zucco
The Mad Monster starring George Zucco
Maniac starring Bill Woods
Metropolis starring Gustav Frolich
The Vampi

Really, if you were to buy all of this separately, it would kill your wallet and send it to hell. I've seen some of these movies solo for more than what this pack is worth! Ok, I will fess up and say that the transfer quality is lacking and some of the sound is awful, but if you don't care if the movie is in HD or 5.1 surround sound (or whatever), then this is for you.

This is a good start for a person starting out their horror journey. You have a lot of classics mixed with the random and bizarre. My favorite films on here have to be "Nosferatu," "Phantom of the Opera," and "The Last Man on Earth." I wish they included more of Karloff's movies but I know it's because those sell very well separately. "Carnival of Souls" will creep you out. "Atom Age Vampire" will make you laugh. "Metropolis" is a good study in special effects, plus I know every film student has to watch this at least at one time or another. I haven't watched all of these yet, but I'm working on it.

Anyway, anyone know when/if Lon Chaney's "Wolfman" will be out on DVD? I heard that there has been trouble getting the rights and bargaining with his family... It's a shame it has not be released.

No comments: