Friday, December 19, 2008

Television: Not so Dead as I thought.

It's been a while since I've written anything on here so I plan to make it up this weekend. I watched a couple of movies, one good, one so horrible it made me question Christopher Lee's sanity for a moment. I've been doing a lot of reading, finally finding the next Vampire Hunter D novel and slowly reading my way through several analogies (one by the notable David J. Skal if you like vampire fiction). It's been a busy but good week.

Television is my least favorite media. Wait, no. Let me rephrase. I hate t.v. Mostly everything on basic, satellite, whatever, is trash. The writing sucks and the acting is horrible. Sitcoms have been dead for years but we have millions of people watching "Desperate Housewives" or "CSI: Nowhere." Don't get me started on how wrong CSI is since it will be a part of my chosen profession. "Heroes" had potential I thought, but after one episode it was just not worth my time. "Lost" is worst. I almost got jumped for saying that its one of the most boring shows out there. I wouldn't complain about them if people loved them for how bad they were. That I can fully understand since I love movies which are so bad, they aren't even worthy of a B rating. I have a beef with people trying to pass them off as great works which should win every award under the sun. Ugh.

I do have some hope though. I've been tuning into a ton of BBC stuff and loving it. Yeah, the only reason I started watching "Merlin" was for Tony Head, but then I started watching the other actors and how the stories are brilliant and following Arthinian legend more closely than any other series I've seen in a long time. John Hurt narrates the series and also supplies the voice of the Dragon. Just last night I could not help but laugh at one of the plot twists because it was so perfectly executed! Can't you see the irony of a prince helping out a young boy and then only finds out the boy's name at the end; the audience alone knows that the boy grows up to be the prince's murderer? I love it when shows throw in teasers of what is to come, maybe whole seasons away. I'm a sucker for legends and mythology so seeing it played out with these hints just had me cheering. If you don't have satellite or can't order the channel its on, don't worry. It's suppose to be showing sometime early 2009 (not so far away now) on NBC. I'm only hoping they don't give it a shitty time slot.

So that is it for Television. Seriously, I don't have the time to watch so I'm literally just seeing what my favorite actors are doing and branching out from there.

No comments: