Friday, December 12, 2008

Buffy, The Vampire Slayer

Not too shabby an ending to a good show. It took me about a month and a half to get through all seven seasons (I primarily watched it in the wee hours of the morning). I liked it though. Not one of my favorites, but I did enjoy Joss Whedon's take on vampires and demons. Vampires are suppose to be creatures of evil and loathing. They are suppose to embody vices humans crave but which are ultimately our damnation (immortality, the taking of lives to live). I know from watching interviews and reading transcripts, Whedon liked "The X Files" and it had an XF vibe to it. It was like watching XF for older teens.

With its tendency to not take itself seriously, the show had a weird nostalgic feel of "Kolchak." Anyone else (if you know what "Kolchak" was) know what I'm talking about? Darin McGavin was a really serious actor (Lara Parker once commented he was "difficult") but he didn't take the show seriously. And it worked! It works here perfectly, too, with BtVS, as fans supposedly abbreviate it.

I probably, most likely, will get the comics and check out "season 8." It was a fun series and it'll be interesting to see if anything else comes of it. Maybe the "Ripper" spin-off BBC has been flip-flopping over?

2 comments:

The Igloo Keeper said...

Yeah, it was a fair ending. and I like Season 7 better than 6. Still thought that they let Anya die a bit easily though. not fair.

ACollinsVampire said...

Yeah, it was just that one shot of her being cut in half and then wham, back to Andrew cowering in the corner. They really should have divided it into two episodes for the amount of action they had.