Friday, July 9, 2010

Zombie's Halloween II

Before I get rants of "remake! blasphemer!" technically "Halloween II" is not a remake since Zombie took the story and ran with it. Originally I thought it was going to be exactly like the original, set in a hospital on the same night. Zombie's is set a year after his story. Laurie Strode is one traumatized kid, looking like she's barely coping with living. Michael sees his mother as a ghost-like angel. The inner child literally speaks for the adult Michaels whenever he sees her. It's all very odd, but works to creep you out. Laurie's nightmares and her appointments with her psychiatrist, played by Margot Kidder (who seriously looks a lot better than the last time I had seen her), are intense, but too quick to really catch your attention.

I didn't like the spin they put to Dr. Loomis's character, profiting from all his time with Michael and the events of last Halloween. He's a bastard. Malcolm McDowell is always good on screen and you see that even when they drag his character into the ground. Loomis was suppose to be the voice of reason and the only "sane" person.

I don't know if it was because I started watching the film close to midnight or what, but it was jumping all over the place with the shots, the musics, and just the plot of the story. I jumped and flinched at the suspenseful moments. I laughed at wholly inappropriate moments.  The ending left me going "What the fuck? That's it?" It was just blah, especially after the totally hectic, awesome ending of the first movie. It was an okay film. Nothing beats the originals though.

Tomorrow's flick is Wes Craven's first film, "The Last House on the Left." Hopefully I can stomach it!

No comments: