Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The New Beverly

If you don't have a Twitter or don't follow me, go read this link HERE and then continue reading this.

The New Beverly, for those of you who have not had the pleasure, is a small theater in LA, located off of Beverly in Hancock Park. To the causal observer, it may look like a little run-down theater from the 1970s. To a film-nut, it's paradise. The New Bev is nothing like an Edward's or an AMC. Outside, you see the grand marquee letting you know what film or films are playing that night. There's only one box-office where you get your ticket before entering the building. The first thing that hits you when you walk in is the concession stand, or another patron who's squeezed into the area (happens to me a lot). Then you walk into the theater. There is only one theater, not 18, 21 or 30. Quantity does not mean quality. There are maybe a hundred seats or so.

What I love most about this theater is the ability to see the old films I hold dear. Just recently I saw a double-feature of Dracula (1931) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935). There are no other theaters around here that would do the same thing. It's refreshing.

I was happy when I heard Tarantino bought the New Bev. There are only two other people I could think of that would be proper owners of such an establishment. I can't wait to see what kind of programs he's going to introduce and the foreign films he'll show. Knowing an inkling of his tastes, that shit is going to be tight!

No comments: