Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kids these days...

I don't know why stuff like this surprises me still. The other day a friend posted that a guy, 18, didn't know who David Bowie was. Ok, I could kind of see this happening if you're not really into music. Even then, it's still hard to forgive. It's almost as bad as someone saying they don't know who Queen is. That is certainly unforgivable. Instances like this make me really sad. What kind of culture are these kids learning? They are missing out on so much! It's not like I'm asking him to know who Django Reinhardt is. [Which if you know who that is, I love you.]

This is not even the worst instance of ignorance, willing or born, that I've encountered. I have had people ask me if London was a wonderful country. Well, it's a beautiful city, I replied, wondering if they were kidding. They weren't. Now, I feel for some kids like this. You know because of their situations that they never had the chance and its heart-breaking. Most people like this are pretty quick learners and will try to better themselves. I love people like that. People who have that drive to learn and experience any and everything are people dear to my soul. I've also met the opposite, punk-ass kids who are so damned snotty and stupid, there is no hope. I had a kid tell me he didn't need to know geography because he was never travelling outside California so screw it. He couldn't tell me where Arizona was... It's funny because he looked at me as if I was the dumbass. What the hell kind of attitude is this? What kind of life must they lead? It's absolutely appalling!

What kind of World is shaping with these types of youth? There's no ambition. Bit frightening in my opinion especially if they are suppose to be our "future." Good joke to whoever coined that phrase.

3 comments:

SChilders said...

how can kids not know who those people are?!? I have David Bowie and Queen on my iPod... and I'm eighteen!

ACollinsVampire said...

You're the exception!:) There are some cultured people like us (thank God!) out there, but it seems to me that we're in short-supply.

Nicole SinClair said...

They don't know who David Bowie is? Wow. Just -- wow. Thank God to the neighborhood I live in, just love his music.

London is a city. Not a country. How much more simpler can it get!?